97:3 - Water in Fuel Indicator Sensor Circuit - Voltage above normal, or shorted to high sourceRelated models
The engine control module has detected and open circuit or shorted to high source within the circuit to the water in the fuel sensor.
Note: This fault code can be present on all machines with Tier III, Tier 4i, and Tier 4F. The flash code for a Tier III will be 428 Skytrak Tier III starts with Serial Number 0160029593 and JLG series 0160039501
97:3 WATER IN THE FUEL INDICATOR SENSOR CIRCUIT - VOLTAGE ABOVE NORMAL, OR SHORTED TO HIGH SOURCE
Water in the fuel sensor
Defective sensor connector
Defective harness between sensor and the engine control module
1. Inspect the connection at the bottom of the fuel water separator for corrosion, broken pins or torn wires.
A. Repair any damaged parts of the connection.
2. Check the resistance of the water in the fuel sensor. It should be less than 3.87 mega ohms.
A. If is too high, replace the sensor.
3. Unplug the connection at the fuel water separator and check for 5 volts at pin 2.
A. If you do not have 5 volts, a continuity check will need done between the connector of the sensor and the connector of the engine control module.
1. Use the correct tier engine circuit in the Useful Documents section below to locate the correct pin numbers
4. After the above steps are taken and no defects are found, it may be necessary to contact Cummins.